EDITOR - The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors, Inc., an educational charitable nonprofit organization in Columbia, PA, seeks an individual for Editor with the skills, talent, and aptitude in the following areas:
• Oversee the editorial content for two bimonthly publications: Watch & Clock Bulletin, a peer-reviewed journal, and Mart & Highlights, a buy/sell supplement with advertising and Association business.
• Coordinate with the editor of WatchNews, an online watch publication, in editing and writing industry-related content
• Manage the editorial process for special publications and work with NAWCC Departments in editing marketing materials, other literature and exhibits.
The editor is responsible for planning the features and articles for each issue, editing volunteer-written content, coordinating with peer reviewers, and overseeing the layout of the issue. The editor ensures adherence to quality standards regarding appearance and content.
The editor is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Publications Department and working with its staff.
The editor is responsible for contributing ideas and executing ones that complement the Association’s mission to preserve and promote horology.
The successful candidate must have experience:
• Working with writers in developing and editing their submissions
• Overseeing the layout of a publication in InDesign
• Managing a small staff
• Using Chicago Manual of Style.
The ideal candidate is a flexible, self-motivated, team player and leader with superb time management skills. He/she will have superior writing and editing skills; a willingness to gain deep knowledge of the field of horology; and a willingness to take on the unique challenges of the organization’s publications.
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, or Liberal Arts preferred.
COMPLETE POSITION DESCRIPTION
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Full Time; Exempt
The editor is responsible for managing the editorial content of the Watch & Clock Bulletin and other publications, as well as the Publications Department staff, contractors, and vendors. Edits Watch & Clock Bulletin submissions, coordinates peer reviews and author revisions, and oversees the layout of the publication. Edits and coordinates the editorial content for the Mart & Highlights. Edits and writes for the WatchNews website as needed.
Primary Responsibilities include
• Plans, manages, and oversees the editorial content for the Watch & Clock Bulletin and the Mart & Highlights, both of which are published six times a year, and WatchNews.nawcc.org, the Association’s website for the watch industry and related information.
• Edits submissions, coordinates peer reviews, discusses revisions with authors, oversees the submissions’ layout, and slots submissions in upcoming issue. Ensures the authors sign appropriate agreements and adhere to copyright regulations, submission guidelines, and Chicago style.
• Coordinates with Department heads to ensure submissions are received and edited for publication.
• Develops partnerships with other organizations and publications to generate content for the Watch & Clock Bulletin and the Mart & Highlights.
• Uploads the Watch & Clock Bulletin to the Association’s website.
• Manages the Publications Department staff through collaboration and teamwork. Oversees contractors and vendors involved with the online and print publications.
• Adheres to the Publications Department budget and generates quarterly and annual reports.
Secondary Responsibilities include
• Edits news releases, advertisements, promotional and fundraising copy, Museum and Education content, and Membership literature.
• Edits and oversees the layout and publication of books and supplements, when suitable material and resources are available.
• Manages other editorial and marketing projects as well as Association business as needed.
Knowledge and abilities
• Ability to analyze, interpret, and edit content similar to what is commonly found in scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
• Ability to evaluate processes, determine areas that can be more efficient, and execute improved approaches.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from members and the public.
• Ability to write material for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format.
• Ability to collaborate with individuals to achieve common goals.
• Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and boards of directors.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of design and web publishing software and word processing software.
Supervision Given and Received
• Performs under general supervision of the Executive Director.
• Supervises and collaborates closes with full-time Creative Services Production Leader, full-time Associate Editor, part-time Advertising Services Coordinator, and contract-based Page Designer.
• Acknowledges a high degree of autonomy, establishes methods and scheduling of work for all staff members.
• Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university.
• Four to six years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Three years’ experience in managing a staff of three or more.
• Strong understanding of publishing methods.
• Experience in Adobe Suite including InDesign.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is frequently required to talk or hear.
• The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and climb or balance.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Editor work is computer intensive.
• Employees are encouraged to determine what is the most ergonomically correct sitting arrangement at individual workstations, to adjust arrangements as needed, and to take periodic breaks to relieve strain.